"School is out for many Ferguson students, but teachers are still holding classes at local public libraries. On Tuesday, teachers stood outside of Ferguson Public Library holding signs that said “here to teach” and “students welcome.” Inside the library, teachers helped students with reading, science, art and math. “We’re trying to provide a positive and productive place for students,” said Ferguson-Florissant art teacher Carrie Pace to local outlet the Riverfront Times. “A place for them to come and do something educational and meet up with other students.” One 16-year-old student, Derrick Washington, came to the library to help tutor students younger than him, like his brother. He spoke with Huffington Post reporter Ryan J. Reilly about the experience. “While they’re not in school, I can help them get ready for school,” said Washington, who is a high school student in the Ferguson-Florissant district. “Keep them in line … keep them from getting in trouble.”"
Just firing up Machine Head as we speak.
The random cornstalk growing in the middle of a soybean field—sickly, yellow, stunted, unwanted, the result of a lost seed, clearly unaware that corn is So Last Year?
Don’t feel too bad, cornstalk. Soon, someone’s gonna harvest all those beans, too.
9 days, 19 hours since Mike Brown was killed.
Darren Wilson is still on paid administrative leave. Whereabouts unknown.
I hope TJ used an unbounded numeric type.
People who want to get and share real-time information go to where there’s real-time information, not bullshit “here’s what we want you to see” algorithms.
No one wants to fight with their racist cousin on Facebook. They’d rather poop out their frustration on twitter (like I did). On tumblr, some people just don’t have more than 140 character rants (that’s me again) and feel unable to express themselves
I’m not sure which I like less: the idea that Facebook is censoring us, or that we are self-censoring. And both are probably true. Ugh.
Fascinating (to me, anyway)
My twitter feed: about 90% Ferguson-related.
Tumblr: about 50/50 at the moment.
Facebook: near zero.
- The Ferguson thing—which is ongoing, by the way, as we now fully enter the victim-blaming phase—is among the most depressing things I can ever recall happening in this country. The worst part is that I expect this is the New Normal.
- It did have the effect of reminding me that all my problems are relatively stupid. There is no chance whatsoever that a bunch of microdicked cops in tactical gear and tanks (tanks!) are going to treat me like an enemy combatant, or my neighborhood like Hamburger Hill.
- Normally, we go to the other side of the lake for a week around this time every summer. It’s a good thing we didn’t this year—the lake is at near-record low temperatures. Not a lot to do there if the beach is unusable. If this weather pattern is another New Normal, I may have to accelerate my plan to get southwest. (Please don’t take this opportunity to tell me how much I suck for liking hot weather.)
- If every conversation you have is an argument, consider that the problem might not be that literally everyone else in the world is an asshole.
- My body’s bizarre response to exercise continues apace. By induction, the end result of this will be a perfectly spherical torso of 100% fat, four limbs the diameter of matchsticks, and the same big, thick head on top. Great look. I’ll post a whole set of #SST pics.